Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Down Hill" is my new favorite saying!

THIS PLACE IS AMAZING! This is definately the place to come to see what life is REALY like... If you've got a "bucket list" ... Italy better be on it!

Today started by meeting out travel mates. There's 10 of us... all from the US. Wisconsin, Boston, Sacramento, New York, New Mexico. Our guides are great! Penny from Spain and Leanne from Canada. They're cute, funny, knowlageble and stud-ets on a bike. Think about it.... they get paid to travel the world, riding a bike, dragging lard butts up hills (that would be me) and they still have a smile on their face.

We took a small bus out about two hours into the countryside of Tuscany. It kinda of felt like taking a drive to "Jackson" but with a bunch of castle like homes on the hillside. EVERY home is made of stack stone or stucco... They look like they've been here for ever. We winded up the hills to the little village or town of Pienza. The villiage is so small, they don't let cars inside. Well, not on a regular basis, they actually let us drive in and drop off our gear. All the streets are like alley ways... We kept saying to each other ... it looked like a "Disney" ride or movie studio. People ACTUALLY live like this. It is truly amazing. I swear to you ... if you've seen the movie " Under the Tuscan Sun"... it's just like that. Wine vineyards and olive trees as far as the eye can see. I have know idea how i'm going to go home and work after experiencing this... Actually this area doesn't produce much wine. It's know for it's cheese made from sheep's milk... Wow, the smell and the taste of their cheeses is a meal in it's self. Of course I purchased a big-o-block of cheese ... Lori did her damage as well. We bought so much stuff the shop owner shipped it back to the states for us. Yeah right, they're having a dinner of all our goodies right now! (hope not)

After getting fitted and getting our "don't get crazy" on the ride lecture, we rode throughout the country side to another small small town. It was our turn around point ... As I rode into town (only one lung hanging out) I noticed this little o'l man walking down the street. He looked about 90, wearing slacks and a tweed sports coat. I almost had to pinch myself? It all seems surreal. I sat in the town square ... about the size of my driveway eating a scoop of Gelato and watched a group of old and young men playing cards. Wow, what a life... I couldn't help but think... what in the world do these people do for a living? Obviously, they all work in the town. The money just keeps circulating around and around to each other. My little gelato purchase just "stimulated" their little economy microcosum. You just wait for the pictures.... they will just floor you how beautiful this world is... Of course, the little train was in full force! Lori and Jeff just chugged up the hills like it was a ride around Lake Natoma... not little (that word makes me feel good) Johnny. With one lung hanging out of my mouth, my thighs burning and my calfs knotting up... I had a revelation... "maybe riding my bike a bit prior to this trip would have been a good idea"? Word of advise.... don't NOT ride your bike for a couple of months prior to going to Tuscany... it's hilly... Today was the easy day!

Tomorrow is the work day... 72km and a ton of steep climbs.... this is definatley going to be a throw up day! Hope it's only one :~0

Our hotel II Chiostro once was a convent in the 15th century and right in the heart of the village. I have a breath taking few of the valley from my window over looking the hotel court yard. I know I keep saying this ... but it's is just amazing ... The streets were packed tonight in the town square. There were kids singing in front of the church .. obviously a school project. Ton's of parents and grand parents standing around with smiles on their faces as they watched their kids perform. Made me teary eyed missing my kids. I can't wait to get home to give them a big hug!

We went to dinner at a little restaurant owned by two brothers... 5 course meal! Good thing I burned off a few calories on the 1200 foot climb day. ....

Pray for my survival on tomorrows ride!

also.. bad news... I don't have the download cable to my camera to upload photo's.... Know that I'm taking plenty of photo's and will upload as soon as I find a cable.

3 comments:

Brie said...

Amazing simply amazing, when you said you were going to ride thru Italy, I didn't know it would be like this...it sounds so wonderful, as I lived in Aviano, at the ripe age of 6 you don't understand the beauty of your surroundings. We'll have to compare bucklists and see if there is anything we can mark off together!
What a job, the guides, I may have to look into that!
hahahahahha

Keep enjoying THIS ride

FlyinOkie said...

Speaking of Bucket Lists: Could u plz plant a huge Kiss on a good looking Italiano girl then screem out this ones for the Okie while doign a double fisted punch!! Then run from the authorities...

: ~ 0

T said...

Due to the narrow streets, made of stones right, they ride whereever they go so you fit right in--except in the spandex =) One thing I loved about Europe were the little old people who gathered and played games, were out and about full of life and smiles, always dressed to the hilt in bright colors. I actually don't think they work a ton in smaller towns...they stop working mid afternoon and just hang out and enjoy life- very relaxed. Your 'down hill' comments are too funny- I can just picture you jammin along full speed ahead-the wild man is out! hee hee