Sunday, October 12, 2008

Wow...I should have rode my bike?

Monday Pienza to Montalcino, Italy

Woke to the sun rising right out my bedroom window with the sound of pigeons. I had left the window open and it seems that maybe my little friends enjoyed my snoring!

While setting up our bikes in the piatza this morning, I happened to glance at todays rid profile. OPPS, it didn't look fun... The plan was 76 km with alot of hills. If the profile were heart rate graph....There would be some big spikes on it. I probably shouldn't have seen it because it left me discourged. About a quarter into the ride, four of us where freight training behind our guide Penny. In a split second she hit the breaks with no notice and we all piled into each other.... We all stayed up except Jeff. Jeff hit the breaks to avoid plowing into the back of Lori. And with a score of almost a perfect 10 he avoide hitting her but ended up flipping over the bars and into the road side ditch. After brushing off and realizing that it did really happened, we were on our way again. Lori clearly shaken and Jeff with some road rash and blood trickling down his leg, we made the small climb to the hot springs.

We hung out at the hot springs a bit to decompress and then proceeded to THE big heart rate spike... I decided to sit this climb out in the van. Great call because I got to really enjoy the views without tucking my lung back in half way up the climb. Our guide Leanne dropped me off on the other side to enjoy the rest of the days ride. Right out of the van I started climbing.... seems that second big heart rate spike was actualy bigger. Nice thing is that I climbed it alone and seemed to handle it all fine. Soon we all reached the top and stopped for lunch ... I decinded
that I couldn't sit too long so a slice of pizza would have to hold me over for the next couple of hours of riding.

Lori decided that she needed a breake and would ride in the van. She was still kind of emotionaly shaken up seen her hubby bleeding in a ditch on the side of the road. HE'S FINE.... but still a bit traumatic. After lunch Chad from WI and I decided to head out and
let the rest of the group catch up. Luckly there was a HUGE decent ... this is where my belly realy helps... I was hitting 60-70 km and loving every minute of it. That's fast for me!! As we navigated this valley all was good... Of course we hit the first climb and Chad asked.... "Do you want me to wait?"... It was cool of him but I knew he wouldn't enjoy my climbing pace. I told him no need to wait and he was gone from view in about 4 minutes.... litteraly! I hate skinny people sometimes! After a long grunt of riding I pulled into town alone. I was proud of myself for pushing through the payne and also not listening to the voices in my head telling me to just stop and get in the van... I was also proud to know that the only rider that was in the hotel was the jackrabbit, Chad. Everyone waas still behind me... that was a good feeling.. The other very very cool thing was that Leanne was at the finish cheering me on and giving me the "that-a-boy's". It felt great to accomplish this days ride. This damm Parkinson's not going to get me
yet.

I'm going to keep checking off my "bucket list" in the morning.

Ohh yeah... the night was all the same stuff... Great Food. Great Wine. Great Friends.

SORE LEGS

2 comments:

Brie said...

YOU are KICKING ASS, my friend, look at the challenge you are taking on...WOWIE!!! go get'm cowboy!!!! I'm glad to hear Jeff is fine, now let's get Lori abit tipsy so she can relax and enjoy the ride again. How scary though!..glad to read all is okay and back on the road again..(sounds like a song huh!!! ) Thanks for sharing the ride with us....I love it and jealous all at the same time. Til the next chapter, breathe deep and enjoy THIS ride my friend! And enjoy the view!!!

T said...

What Perseverence! making your own personal goals must feel so good. I keep picturing the VonTrap family chugging along...Italian style. How fun to go in the hot springs and enjoy the countryside and all the culture that comes with it. Do you ever get to walk your bike up the hill, yep that'd be me. Great conquest on those hills! Glad Jeff survived the ditch, ouch.
Have some cheese for me!