Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sleepless in Italy


Friday/Saturday Florence

The trip started with a drive down to Castro Valley to Brent Patterson's
house where I left my car and bummed a ride from him to SF airport.
As always, Brent and Monique where there to do what ever a friend
needs. And of course Brandon (their 8 year old) was happy to hang
out with me too. We actually have a plan for a "play date" upon
my return!

The flight was somewhat non eventful. Lot's of forgein languages
and a very very long flight to Frankfurt Germany. Just sitting in one
position sucks!

Frankfurt airport confirmed the typical impressions of the eastern
european architekture and style. Many of the people tend to dress
in a "militant" style ... As I was going through customs, I couldn't help
but to think of the fall of the Berlin Wall. I have no idea why ... maybe
the presence of the military in the airport?

After Germany there was a short jump over to Italy. Wow, what amazing
views from the plane window. Vineyards and farm land as far as the
eye could see. Beautiful mountains (they looked like the Alps)(you know
me and geography). I can't wait to get out and ride the countryside and
find that little old lady on her bike with her loaves of bread and bottle
of wine in the basket.. ha ha. If you ever come here... hold on in the
taxi! My driver was out of control but deffinatley fun. Not a word of
english but he could drive like an F1 pro! Zooming in and out of
traffic down the streets. Every road is like an alley. There are a few
main roads but then everything else just seems to be about a car
and a half wide... And rules? What rules? It's a free for all! As
we flew through the streets in the dark all of a sudden he locks them
up and kinda do the "rockford files" skid into a parralle parking spot.
Turns around with this big smile and says, "Okay"? I was ready to
go again but decided to check into the hotel Albani, Florrence.

Room is awesome. Very nice and suspect, one of the nicer
affordable (only $380 a night!) hotels in the city. The only
thing that I don't understand is that the sink is very very low
to the ground. It makes it hard to brush your teeth?

pic

haa haa....

4 comments:

Brie said...

WOW, you made it!!! The long flight was just getting your "ASS" ready for the long "rides"... It is wonderful countryside, just be careful of the little old lady...she and Lori will be passing you ....tteeehhheee She there to give you the vino to make it up the next hill!!! Can't wait to hear and see the next chapter...enjoy THIS ride

T said...

It is a long flight, glad to see you survived. I bet the taxi driver definitely spoke English and just drove you around in circles to confuse you adding $100 tab! hee hee Believe me, everyone there learns english in school, so don't be fooled...=) Tell the little ol lady..passing on your left-the little train that could!

T said...

shorter sinks?? are you sure you weren't using the toilet?? =)

Sus said...

Let the new experience begin! Let me know if you happen to ride through - Portoguaro in the Alto Adige region, Terlato. That's where one of my favorites is from - Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio.

Ciao